Passion to Profit is a Possibility with Shopify
“Turn your Passion to Profit”, you probably heard this Quote from time to time, but is it possible to turn your passion into money? And what if people in your country or area don’t share your passion? Do you really need to depend on people’s interest to come up with a business or service? You can raise several questions when talking about following a passion as a career.
Shopify provides you all the tools for setting up a successful store
Some people were lucky enough to understand their gifts and focus on their interests early from childhood, and by the time they start to think about a career that interest would have developed into a skill with value. And it will be very easy for them to build a business around that interest, but if you were caught up by life, school or work & you were only doing the things that interest you from time to time, they only remain to be things that make yourself feel good. You can be passionate about them, but the chances of turning them into profit are slim.
For example, I always liked acoustic guitars, I play it from time to time and I am passionate about it. And I would love to make money out of this passion, it could be making money by selling Guitars or creating video lessons, but at the moment it’s a bit difficult thing to do for me; mostly because I didn’t focus hard enough to master it and in another hand, most people in my country don’t share my passion. This is where Shopify – a platform that has everything you need to set up an online store helps you turn the passion into money. In my case I can set up a guitar store or paid online guitar lessons website, the reason for that is that Shopify makes it very easy to connect with people on the international level. Shopify eliminates the intimidating aspect of setting up a functional & secured e-commerce website by yourself, which will give you more time to focus on your product & services.
The best thing about setting up your store with Shopify is that you will not worry about the security of your website users’ payment information if people don’t feel secure about providing payment details on your website, then it will be difficult for you to make sales. And when a platform offers that level of security and ease of setting up, I can confidently say that it’s possible to turn your passion into a profit, and Shopify is the fastest way to take your passion online and start selling. Just like WordPress, you don’t need to have coding skills or even write a single line of code for that matter, Shopify lets you choose designs from more than 100 existing themes and the platform processes, tracks all of your orders, and payments for you. Setting up a store with Shopify is very easy and you can do it by yourself, here are some tips on how you can set up your store using the platform.
Things to know before deciding on setting up a Shopify store
Shopify is a paid service, they have a sliding monthly fee based on your preference. But when you are starting out, it’s better to go with the minimum monthly plan, 29 USD per month. They actually offer a 14 day free trial, which can give you time to test the platform and set up your store. All you need to do is focus on your product and if you work a little harder you can make a sale within the trial period, that will be enough to cover the monthly plan fee and keep your store going. When signing up for a Shopify account, you will be asked to set up an acceptable working payment method, unless you provide that payment information your store won’t be live for customers to visit. You have the option to use your own custom domain name, custom domain names purchased from Shopify start from 11 USD per year or you can purchase the name from other service providers and integrate it later. Just like WordPress, it’s better to choose a simple design for your store, the focus should be on the product. After you set up the store you will need to add products from the backend dashboard, it’s recommended to add at least 20 products before promoting your store. In addition to that, you will need to make shipping times clear for each country, have a Refund policy in place and most importantly check your email address regularly.
What if you just want to make extra cash and don’t want to get into inventory?
Sometimes the perfect business for your passion needs capital and you just want to make extra cash in order to make your dreams come true. And you don’t have any products or don’t want the hustle of storing products & shipping to customers, in this case, Dropshipping will help you achieve your goals. If you are not familiar with the concept of dropshipping – it is a supply chain management method in which the retailer does not keep goods in stock but instead transfers its customer’s orders and shipment details to either the manufacturer, another retailer, or a wholesaler, who then ships the goods directly to the customer. All you will need is a Shopify store and a marketing strategy that can drive traffic to your store. Once a customer makes an order you will transfer the shipping address of the customer to your supplier and they will do the hard work for you. It sounds ridiculous, but a lot of people have had great success with it. You might ask why would the customer pay me when they can directly go to the supplier? The answer is simple, you were able to reach the customer before your supplier and customers are likely to buy products impulsively as soon as they see your ads. However, since it’s very easy to set up a Drop shipping Shopify store the competition is fierce and you will need to be sharp, know the do’s and don’ts, and must have a good social media marketing strategy.
What are the products that you shouldn’t Dropship?
- Don’t dropship unproven products – you have to be very careful about which products to add to your Shopify store. When starting out it’s better to go for proven products that have a decent review, but where can you get the product or see the reviews? The best place for dropshipping products is Aliexpress, an online retail service that is based in China and owned by the Alibaba group. Go to the website and check for products with a good number of reviews and there is an app within Shopify specifically designed for dropshipping called Oberlo, which lets you move products from Aliexpress to your store with just a click.
- Don’t dropship trademark products – the last thing you need is complications when running a dropshipping store, dropshipping trademark products will definitely get you in trouble. Either the company will raise questions or the customer will raise an issue with the quality of the product.
- Don’t dropship products from suppliers who don’t offer ePacket shipping – ePacket delivery is one of the most popular shipping methods offered by merchants from China and Hong Kong. It’s the Chinese version of EMS and it’s cheap, means you can make more money selling products with ePacket option than other shipping methods.
When it comes to choosing Suppliers, you will need to be picky
The success of your dropshipping business depends heavily on the type of supplier you are going to be working with. If your supplier is not dependable with regards to inventory and shipping you will find it very difficult to fulfill customers’ orders and it will greatly affect your business in the long run. It’s advisable to work with suppliers that have been to a trade show, which you can check by going to the company info on Alibaba and to get products cheap it’s best if you can work directly with the manufacturers, but that will not be easy so working with a trusted wholesaler will be beneficiary. And always prioritize items with multiple suppliers.
Refund policy, Disclaimers and Automatic email will help you a lot
Apart from setting up a store and adding products, there are some things you will need to give attention too. When it comes to online transactions you can’t be too careful; it’s always better to have a system in place for any complications and issues that may arise. Your store needs to have a strict refund policy and also need to place disclaimers on each page to deal with Paypal disputes. The last but most important thing to set up is an automatic email response inside the shipping confirmation email sent to customers, for example, “And if you are having problems, please email us before leaving a review, we care about each and every customer.”, this emails will help you communicate with the customer and solve issues before they leave a bad review.
Social media strategy for Drop shipping, It’s not an exact science
You will need to be patient with the products you are planning to sell; if you are lucky some items might get you sales within hours of running a Facebook ad, but it will not always be like that. You need to test your products by running a 5 USD/day Facebook ad and when you find a product that makes you a sale, scale that winning product. It’s a trial and error process, which will test your patience but will deliver a huge return if done correctly. And when selecting an audience it’s best to choose a target group with an audience size of 700K – 1 million and mobile traffic is preferable. The one thing you will need to give your attention to when setting up an ad on Facebook is that demo videos work better than a picture and digital products & affiliate programs perform well. And it’s a good practice to spy on competitors’ ads which you can do by making a search for the product on Facebook.
What if you don’t have budget for Social media advertising? You can SEO optimize the store
Shopify stores are well optimized for search engines, they have excellent loading speeds and are SSL encrypted. However, you can make it more SEO optimized by employing a good search engine optimization practice when adding a product into your store.
- Pick a Keyword for each product – an online dictionary defines Keyword as a significant word, or a word used to find information when researching. And in SEO terms a Keyword is terms & phrases in your web content that make it possible for people to find your site via search engines. Research these keywords for each product and add it to the description, it’s recommended to use long-tail keywords(keywords that are 3 or 4 words long).
- Content is the king – Search engines look for a content that is well written and provides the necessary information to a user who makes a search on their website. So dedicate some time to create a product description that is at least 400 Words. Without making it difficult for the reader, try to find sections in the description to add your chosen keywords several times. And don’t forget to add the keyword to the product title and to the first image on the product page.
- Share to social media – you can always use the organic method to advertise your product on social media, it won’t be as effective as paid, but it will help you with SEO. Social media shares and likes are a signal for the search engines that your store is an authority website, meaning the algorithms will consider your website to be a genuine web page that provides the necessary information for that particular keyword due to the number of likes and shares it acquired on social media.
There is much more to Shopify than drop shipping or setting up a simple store, you can use it to build an empire. As long as you are passionate about your product, there is always an opportunity to grow your business and Shopify is capable of managing any growth you might achieve in the future. Passions could turn into profit with Shopify, and you can also turn a profit into a passion with dropshipping, it all depends on your dedication and hard work.
I hope this was a helpful article, you can also read more about Shopify through their own blog or other websites and there are also very good youtube channels that will guide you through the setup process. If you find this post helpful you can leave feedback via the comment section, if you have inquiries please feel free to Contact Us. Thank you for reading!